Monday, August 15, 2011

No progress on resolution of Mendoza hostage massacre incident; HK group not happy

After a year of "investigations" the Philippine Government has so far nothing much to show as far as progress in the resolution of the August 23, 2010 Mendoza hostage massacre tragedy. Tse Chi-kin, the older brother of tour guide Masa Tse Ting-chunn who died in the incident, was quoted in The Standard as observing how "It has been almost one year and the Philippine government has done absolutely nothing to settle this case".

Tse along with survivors Joe Chan Kwok-chu and Lee Ying-chuen had earlier requested a meeting with Philippine President Benigno "Noynoy" Aquino III and also sought legal assistance to sue the Philippine Government.
On that, Philippines deputy presidential spokesman Abigail Valte said: "If and when the families do decide to file suit we will be ready to defend."

Tse described Valte's response as disrespectful to the dead and injured. "Instead of saying they are ready to defend, they should be thinking about how to make it up to those who died in the tragedy," he said.

The Philippine Government has so far made "repeated appeals" to Hong Kong to have a ban on travel to Manila lifted. The ban has been in effect since the hostage incident August, 2010. Hong Kong has so far rejected all of these appeals. The only other country on Hong Kong's black list aside from the Philippines is Syria where 2000 people have reportedly died in the unrest engulfing that country.

1 comment:

  1. valte's insensitivity could only be the result of such arrogance that is abetted in the (mis)comm group.